12/20/12

New normal

The holidays feel different this year. Maybe that's cause they are different. I can't put my finger on why. Yeah, I know...I am different. But its more than that.

I'm in my usual holiday mode five days before Christmas. Buzzing around getting last minute gifts and making more cookies than even the cookie monster can eat. 

One of my very favorite holiday traditions is our cookie delivery night, the 23rd of each December. I spend days making a variety of homemade cookies. We (meaning I) make "goodie" plates for our friends and neighbors and then we (meaning my son and I) deliver them. We don't visit except long enough to pass off the goods and say Merry Christmas. We are kind of like Santa in that regard.There are too many friends to visit to linger long. Have to make hay. Move along to the next house. 

Somehow I'm not feeling the same...something...that I usually feel this time of year. I don't know what to call it. Oomph. Excitement. Something. Instead I just feel tired. And teary. 

Maybe that's cause I am tired. Cancer has left me tired. But if tired is the worst of my complaints, then I guess I'm lucky. 

And the tears? They are tears of gratitude and relief that I'm still here making a good Christmas for my son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment