10/19/13

To Nip or Not to Nip

Ya! What a truly bizarre place to be in life. I am faced with a decision of whether to TATOO nipples on my fake boobs...or not. 

How funny. How weird. How awesome. How...just plain strange.

A year post-mastectomy, my reconstruction is nearly finished. Except for the cherry on top.  How wonderfully inappropriate it is to be talking publicly about something as personal as my nipples. :-)

IF I decide to nip, do I want 2D or 3D tatoos? Oh Lordy, the places cancer takes us!

My plastic surgeon is adamant that I should have 3D tatoos done by his very own medical tatoo artist. Problem is, she is not employed by him so the insurance will pay $220 of the $800 charge. Ouch.

Another plastic surgeon says his nurse can do that tatoos, but they will not be 3D (which he naturally scoffed at). Almost the same, he said. I asked to see before and after pictures. Not even close. But the insurance will pay 100%.

Do I want realism that comes with a hefty charge (on top of my already crazy medical expenses of the last 18 months) or do I want "lesser"? Common sense says to go for the 3D...what's $600 over a lifetime of being able to look - and feel - more complete? 

Or maybe I could just do the rub ons. There's a thought. 

On the other hand, I'm feeling rather ambivalent over the whole thing. Maybe I'm not far enough away from the misery of breast cancer to really care. Maybe I'll care more this time next year.

But then again...there's something..so naughty...about being able to say I have tatoos! I'm not a tatoo kind of chick. But after what I've been through and at my age...maybe it's time to do something crazy. 

Like get tatooed nips.  Whatcha think??


1 comment:

  1. Just came across your blog while helping my son look for some history on a haunted church in Nash County. Anyway, your story peeked my interest as I too love to trace genealogy and am also a Cancer Survivor. Mine was head & neck, 33 years ago when I was but 25 years old. I’m from the NC mountains where my descendants mostly were from. But after 15 years in Hawaii and 6 years in Wake County, we now reside in the original Nashville in eastern NC. I’ve been so fascinated lately to discover my husband’s maternal descendants are from several eastern NC counties going back to the 1700’s. I’ve shared some of this information with my son, as he has taken to Nash County with such great enthusiasm and interest. He just came home from the library this afternoon with such great interest in finding the location of this historic church he could share with his cousin who loves searching for haunted areas around here. So all that said, I’m really curious if you got the tattoo nips? I know it’s been nine years since, but I’m hoping you went for the 3D and are now living your best life!!!

    ReplyDelete