9/3/12

Just shut up and get the test....

Part of the whirlwind and chaos around my breast cancer diagnosis included genetic testing. A simple blood test changed my life forever.

I tested positive for BRCA1 (BReast CAncer gene 1). Five to 10% of breast cancers are inherited. Like mine.  You are more likely to carry this gene mutation if you have a family history of cancer (any kind), are of eastern European descent, or if you are African-American under the age of 35. The only one of these that applies to me is the family history. 

Many women who carry the gene mutation RUN toward a double mastectomy and an oophorectomy as a prevention. Others just use it as an invitation for more frequent screening. In my opinion, testing positive means your breasts have a huge potential to kill you. And keeping your ovaries increases the risk of breast cancer since ovaries produce the very estrogen that fuels breast cancer. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Insurance companies don't like to pay for genetic testing. It is expensive. Mine paid for it only because I have a strong family history. I was lucky. My breast surgeon said at the time that genetic testing will be routine like mammograms and colonoscopys within the next ten years. Insurance companies will embrace genetic testing cause prevention is cheaper than a cure. That also means we'll likely live longer, which could be a down side for insurance companies.  

Getting my head around having breast cancer, understanding my genetic status, and dealing with the fall out has been quite the task. I'm still reeling from it seven months post-diagnosis. But the single one thing that has surprised me the most is the reluctance I get from family and friends about having their own genes tested for BRCA. Men and women. Men can get breast cancer, too, and they can pass the gene mutation on to their children. My son has a 50% chance of passing it on his daughter. He's getting tested, end of discussion.

Why wouldn't you want to get tested? Especially if you have a strong family history?? Am I not the greatest living proof point for discovering your genetic status?  

Someone said to me recently "I'm not sure I want to know...". Whhaaattt? You don't want to know you are in line for breast and/or ovarian cancer? Seriously? You want to wait until its cancer so you can go through chemo and radiation before getting your head out of your arse and taking action? I don't understand the attitude. Save yourself the agony of cancer treatment, get the test. Make informed decisions.

It's a simple blood test. And yes, it may change your life forever. But it will increase your chances of having a forever. Doesn't that make it worthwhile? 

It's better to know. Way better. For sure. Just ask me.


1 comment:

  1. My mother's side of my family have ALL died from one form of cancer or another. They were test subjects at UMass. We do have some type of cancer gene. Unfortunately, this testing was done many years ago when this type of testing first began. So, I definitely agree with you. People get tested. It will save lifes, if not yours, then members of your families.

    ReplyDelete