8/24/12

Live Strong

I am dismayed this morning to read the news of Lance Armstrong's loss of his Tour de France medals.  His personal statement was emphatic and compelling. For me, someone who has little interest in sports in general, the most important point he made was regarding his work with his cancer Foundation, Livestrong

Aside from the bitter battle between Armstrong and the USADA, his real life's work stands for itself. Sure, winning seven Tour de France medals is a real accomplishment. But the highest and most important accomplishment is Armstrong's support of me. And people like me. Who have cancer.

I have spent hours on Livestrong.org in the past months absorbing information and searching for hope. Even my doctor refers to Livestrong.org. She uses it as a resource herself, once referring to it when advising me on how much L-Glutimine to take. She went with what the web site recommended. It is a highly reputable organization and site.

For me, the question becomes why the USADA would pursue their vendetta against Armstrong knowing that - if they prevailed - they would have a heavy hand in destroying the reputation of a man who has helped millions in their battle against cancer. Isn't that far more important than who wins a silly bicycle race? 

I don't mean to underestimate what it takes to win the Tour de France. Seven times. I know it's not just a silly bicycle race. But comparatively, it's nothing. It's meaningless. It is indeed just a silly race when held up against the big C. 

Doesn't service to others around the world fighting for their very lives mean more than seven Tour de France medals?? If you don't think so, walk in my shoes for a day.  Spend a long sleepless night being me. You'll quickly change your mind.

So the USADA got their man. Great. Does that make the world a better place? Nah. What a waste. Imagine if Armstrong and the USADA had donated all the money they spent on this matter to cancer research. Millions of dollars wasted on an argument that no one was going to truly win.

Livestrong lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment