8/12/12

Done with Chemo

So I'm done with the chemo. WooHoo! My docs and I decided this week that I'd had enough. The risk in doing the 8th infusion wasn't worth it in terms of permanent side effects. The neuropathy is front and center right now as we work to minimize and reverse the nerve damage in my hands and feet. I'll be on meds for it for the next 12 months. Why tempt fate with more chemo?

I can't describe what an impact knowing I do not have to do another chemo infusion is having on me emotionally. It's remarkable, but I expect it to be short lived. I still have the mastectomy to deal with. 

I've slept better the last two nights knowing this phase of treatment was over than I have in weeks. I am more optimistic about my prognosis and my future.  We hit it hard with the chemo. Very hard. And even without the last planned infusion, I'm feeling very confident that we licked any remaining cancer cells. And once the boobs are gone, then my risk of recurrance plummets even more. 

I am confident I have done everything possible to prevent ever having to go through this again. Of course, I say that knowing the mastectomy and reconstruction will be a long road, but also knowing it is preventative. We're not lopping off the girls to get rid of existing cancer. It's to give the cancer one less place to hide. It's to give my genetic status the "f*ck you" boot. 

Genetically, I had a 75% chance of developing breast and/or ovarian cancer. Turns out, both were issues. At the same time!  The ovaries are history, along with all the other girl stuff associated with them. No opportunities for cancer to lurk there. And in a few months, we'll be able to say the same for the boobs. 

Maybe I'll live to be a ripe old age in spite of myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment