8/18/12

A day of firsts

I've had an awesome day. 

First, its a Saturday. That means I don't have to work and I can do anything I darn well please all day long. Love that.

For the first time in a very long time, I went swimming this morning. I GOT IN A POOL. And it was great!  It was so wonderful tears came to my eyes. I floated, and swam, and hung onto the edge of the pool watching the babies and their parents having a blast on the other side of the pool. Then, in the locker room, a really nice lady struck up a conversation with me. She'd had breast cancer too. We had a wonderful conversation.

Then, I had a nap, adding to my awesome day. Swimming wore me out, so it was a particularly good nap.

Next, I GOT A PEDICURE! My first in a long time. You can't have your nails done when on chemo due to the risk of infection. I've whined the whole time about how awful my feet looked without a pedicure. On my way to the pool this morning, I happened across a day spa that does medical pedicures. That means all the tools are surgically sterilized cutting down on the risk of infection. So I went for it. My toes are now a beautiful shade of sparkly purple. 

And just to make a good day even better, one of my bestest friends is coming over for dinner and a movie tonight. I'm sure there will be a bottle of wine (or two) consumed.

On this day at least, I'm enjoying not being sick. Or recovering from a surgery. Or scared to pieces because I have cancer. On THIS day, I'm enjoying life.

I intend to do a lot of that in the coming weeks leading up to the next surgery. Live and enjoy life. For me, that doesn't mean doing crazy things like skydiving. It means doing the simple little things that brought me so much pleasure BEFORE I got sick. Like swimming and pedicures. Normal things.

Who would have thought that NORMAL could be so awesome??

No comments:

Post a Comment