6/10/12

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

I enjoyed following the local activities around the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure this weekend. Naturally, it has a much different significance to me now. The Komen Foundation has such a well-oiled marketing and PR machine that you can't help but be aware of their cause. But its different once breast cancer touches your life. It's a different sort of awareness. And gratitude.

My friend Wilda participated in the race as a walker. She came by to visit today and said she thought of me during the walk. Not only did that make me feel loved, but it added a new connection to the race for me. She told me wonderful stories of walking past homes along the route also celebrating and encouraging the participants.  From the house that had the sprinklers going in the yard so the walkers and runners could cool off to yard signage speaking of hope and encouragement to families and homeowners out in their yards cheering.

One of the things I appreciated most about local coverage of the race is watching all the happy, joyous and healthy people not only giving of themselves to raise money for the cause but also to celebrate their own survivorship or to memorialize those who lost the fight. Watching it gave me hope. That one day soon I will also be celebrating my good health.

Interestingly, the Komen site is currently running an article on my particular type of cancer, Triple Negative. I was already aware of most of the information in the article, but it is nice that a powerhouse organization such as Komen is helping draw attention - and research dollars - to this kind of cancer. You can read a personal story of Triple Negative breast cancer here.

So, what are you waiting for?  GIVE!  TODAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment