6/27/12

The Upside to Cancer

I follow a number of cancer blogs these days. My favorites are those with the more positive spin on cancer. I need to be reminded of the positives (because I whine plenty!). I get a kick out of some of the titles. Like Bald is Better with Earrings. Indeed it is.

My current favorite upside to having cancer arrived in an email yesterday. I've been chosen to receive FOUR free house cleanings - one a month for four consecutive months. Starting soon. How 'bout dem apples??  Much of my anxiety comes from being unable to keep my home clean according to MY standards.

Believe me, I'm not above playing my cancer card to get perks. Like yesterday when I was talking to a lady about renting a cabin in the mountains so I can go see my boy. It's a girl thing. Mention breast cancer to another woman and suddenly  discounts become part of the conversation. Woo!

I even played the card at work this week. Someone has been dragging their corporate feet about giving me what I want. I mention I have to take vacation time off every other week for my chemo treatments, and POOF....I get what I want when I want it. How about that??

It's important for me to remember the good stuff. Like being alive and having a relatively decent prognosis. Particularly on chemo days, like today. Its part of mentally preparing myself to be hit by a truck.

I may be sick as dirt next week, but at least I'll have a clean house. Now there's something to smile about!

It's all about the little things.


No comments:

Post a Comment