10/6/12

The little things...

We all know its the little things in life that matter. Cancer drives that point home in a big way. We spend our days plowing through work and obligations. At least, I do. Head down, just get 'er done.

At one of my early visits, my oncologist said to me...
If cancer doesn't change your life in a thousand different ways, you're not paying attention.

Amen, Sister!

Cancer has changed my life. I'm sure everyone with a life threatening illness has an epiphany at some point. I haven't had a moment I can point toward. No aha moments for me. At least, not yet.  But it has made me think a lot about how I spend my time, who I spend it with, and oddly...where I live.

I love where I live. I have the best neighbors ever. I have a warm and comfortable home in a convenient location. But I don't love north Raleigh. I have wanted to live in the mountains as long as I can remember. The thought of living in the mountains rarely leaves me. 

So what's stopping me?  Me. Just me. Oh I've made a ton of excuses over the years for not moving. Mostly around my job. 

I work remotely for a company in another state. I could live anywhere and still do my work. But what if I lose my job? I need to be in a place where I can get another job. It's easier to find a good job in an urban area than on the side of a mountain somewhere.

And then there's the cancer. I'm glad I live in an area where quality healthcare was just down the street. It doesn't get much better than Duke or UNC for healthcare. So glad I'm not living in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. 

But I won't always be able to use cancer as an excuse. Let's hope. And I am slowly getting past my illusion that I won't be able to get a job in a more rural area. It'll just take a little more effort. Those of us who have worked from home tend to know where good telecommuting jobs can be had. 

So what's stopping me?  Me. Just me.



No comments:

Post a Comment