5/20/12

Legally Bald

It's official. Well, almost. Except for a few patches here and there, I'm bald.

Hair on top of my head is almost gone, eyebrows are running a close second. I still have eyelashes. I'm told they'll be the last to go.

What I want to know is when the hell is the hair on my legs gonna fall out?? I can't shave and I have dark hair and fair skin. Come on, already. Fall out, would ya!?!?

Had the head hair buzzed last week in anticipation of losing it. I didn't want clumps of it falling out on the floor or in the bed. Or on the sofa where I spent inordinate amounts of time these days.

I expected it to start falling out on Friday, about 48 hours post second chemo. It hung in there on Friday. And on Saturday. Then, this morning, sitting on the sofa...I put my hand to my head and brought back clumps of hair. I could literally pull my hair right out of my head. It was the most bizarre thing. Didn't hurt a bit, but it brought immediate tears.

Moments later, my friend Trish has me out on the deck with the buzz clippers taking care of whatever hair was left on top of my head. What an Angel. It must have taken a lot of love and strength for her to stand behind me and rid me of my remaining hair...all while chatting about her dog, the neighbors, and yes...how much better I looked. Bald. God bless Trish.

God bless Laura who loaded me in her car and took me to buy a wig. And then loaded me up a week later to go have the initial buzz and wig trim. THEN she took me home with her and handed me a magic marker to write all the hateful things about having cancer on a plastic sheet of bubbles. With glass of wine in hand, and music rolling, we danced and stomped all over that sheet of bubbles stomping the hell out of cancer.

God bless Wilda who also took me wig shopping. And had to hug me while I cried over the ugly wigs that lay on the table in front of me.

I don't know that I'll ever be one of those women who embraces her baldness. I'm not loving it although I will admit it sure makes the morning routine go a lot faster. And my bathroom counter looks much nicer without all the brushes, combs, and hair dryer. And it's cooler. North Carolina summers can be brutal.

I'm not ready to go out in public without a hair covering. Don't want to scare the neighbors or small children. But I do get a sense of freedom from walking around my own house bald. There's no one here but me and my dog. He still looks at me with the same big loving cocker spaniel eyes. God bless Jack.






No comments:

Post a Comment