5/15/12

Let's talk Cost

Blue Cross/Blue Shield's initiative Let's Talk Cost has been around for a couple of years now. I paid no attention. I understood the cost of healthcare was astronomical simply because of my work in healthcare IT and what I heard on the news. Being a healthy person, I didn't know what healthcare really costs until I got sick.

Sheeze Louise. Boy did I ever get an education on the cost of healthcare once my medical bills started rolling in last month. I am a BCBS customer and I am fortunate to have a good policy that will cover most of my expenses. But not all. This is going to be a significant expense for me.  Akin to paying my son's college tuition. Scary expensive.

Just how significant my portion will be isn't clear yet. That's because statements received from medical providers are hard to decipher and the EOB from the insurance company never matches up to the bill. It's going to take a "Philadelphia lawyer" (an old saying meaning something is absurdly complicated) to figure it out. Looking at these bills is like trying to understand tax codes. Nearly impossible.

Here's a few examples:

- Biopsy:  $2640  (done in office at a doc visit)
- Hysterectomy: $28,905 (hospital charges only, excludes surgeon and anesthesia)
- Lumpectomy: $21,352 (hospital charges only, excludes surgeon and anesthesia)
- Chemo, each infusion:  $15,000 x 8 infusions = $120,000
- Each shot to prevent low white cell count:  $3000 x 8 shots = $24,000

BCBS tells me I've cost them nearly $88,000 in the past few months. And we're just getting started on the chemo.

Who knows how much a mastectomy might cost? I'm thinking at least $100,000 when its all said and done.

All told my 'lil bout with cancer will likely cost close to a million bucks. I wish that made me feel special. I wish I'd spent a million bucks on something else, like a cure for the common cold or feeding hungry children or a lavish year in Europe.

Instead, I'll be throwing money at these bills in lieu of vacations or padding my 401K for a long time.

Starting to re-think all those OTC drugs I'm buying to prevent all manners of tummy problems. And my new fascination with organic eating. Or a gym membership.

Who can afford to live a healthy life when it costs so much to be sick??




No comments:

Post a Comment