5/9/12

Life's Little Blessings

My current "situation" in life, ie having damn sucky cancer, has given me a new perspective on Mother's Day. Well, not necessarily Mother's Day, but mothers in general.

I certainly miss my mom these days. Although she's been gone 15 years, I miss her every single day. I just feel it more acutely now that I'm sick. My mom would have been here with me every step of the way, equally taking care of me and thoroughly annoying me. Don't we all have love/ hate relationships with our mothers?

My mom was a pickle, through and through. She had a lot of faults. Like I don't, eh? But she was a good strong woman with enough love and compassion to fill the oceans. Nobody loves you like your mom loves you. And there was never any doubt about how much my mom loved me. Never.

My "situation" also brings me to appreciate other mothers. The ones who raised children who are now my supporters and caretakers. They raised children who understand the blessings behind serving others. I am exceedingly fortunate to be the person being served at this time in my life. I am more grateful than I can express for the mothers who raised children who call, email, fetch my dinner, hug, worry, talk to me, take me places, and even just think of me when they have their own "situations" in life.

One of my wonderful neighbors recently told me that she considered serving others a blessing. I'll never forget that comment.

Thanks, Mom.  Thanks for raising the kind of people who consider doing for others a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment