4/2/12

Not my job

I've discovered part of the frustration in having a complex illness is all the moving parts, ie docs. You have a doc for this and a doc for that. One to slice and dice the bad stuff, one to zap the remaining bad stuff, one to drug the bad stuff, one to ex-ray the bad stuff, etc.

It appears none of them talk to one another. I have to tell my entire story over and over to medical providers. It's not lost on me that I WORK for a company that develops and sells electronic health record software. So much for a connected community of healthcare, apparently my collection of docs haven't gotten the memo yet.

And the worst part of all...you have to carefully consider who you are talking with before you ask a question. For example, in a post-op visit with my breast surgeon today, I asked questions about the follow up treatments. Her response? I'm not an oncologist. Talk to your oncologist.

Ok. So, which one? The Gynecological Oncologist? The Radiological Oncologist? The Medical Oncologist?

And if I have a question about my little ovary problem, do I talk with the Gynecological Oncologist or the plain 'ole Gynecologist? As it happens, they are close friends. Maybe we could all have lunch one day and I can finally get some answers.

Doctors just shouldn't tell a patient to "ask someone else" when they have a question. That's poor customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment