4/29/12

Preparing for Chemo

Preparing for chemo is utterly exhausting!  Oh, the shopping that must be done! And I must clean, run errands, and shuffle things around in case I'm too zonked to do much for the next 16 weeks.

Physically, I'm not expecting to be debilitated from chemo. In fact, I'm expecting to feel pretty good except maybe a little tired. Emotionally, chemo is already kicking my ass. But the good news is that my truly obsessive fear has moved from the chemo to the mastectomy and reconstruction. The very idea of slowly filling my soon-to-be vacant boobs with saline to stretch the skin to accommodate implants seems torturous to me. But back to the chemo...one scary thing at a time.

After attending Chemo School last week, I came home with a pretty long shopping list. Not to mention a list of all the things I can't do while on chemo. Like change the kitty box or pick up after my pooch. Whhaat? Do they think I have a manservant following me around to pick up my dog poop??  And this is North Raleigh. They toss your butt in jail for not scooping here!  Oh dear!  I'll be on the front page of The Slammer in no time! And worst of all...no pedicures during chemo. Crap.

You have to have the most ridiculous things on hand to forge into chemo. Like the FIVE prescriptions given to control the nausea. Really?  Five? Lemon Drops. Must have lemon drops in my bag to counteract the metallic taste that chemo sometimes dishes up. Electric razor - just in case I'm inclined to slice my skin with a regular razor while shaving during chemo. (Doesn't that seem counter intuitive? To have an electric razor on hand with no hair to shave?) And don't even get me started on the wig shopping!  All I can say is, thank goodness for my buddies Wilda and Laura for holding my hand through the tears and the vanity that goes along with wig shopping!

I'm a planner. I like to be prepared. Usually, over-prepared, but there are lots of "you never knows" and "just in cases". I have tons of stuff, likely way more than I'll need. Boxes of saltine crackers, white rice, tons of chicken soup in the freezer. Just in case.

I think I'm ready. Pantry is stocked. Meds are on hand. Wig waiting in the closet.

Bring it on.





No comments:

Post a Comment