4/16/12

Staying positive is a chore

So what happens when you are determined to stay positive, but the bricks just keep falling?

One of my worst mistakes throughout my cancer crisis is assuming that good news is just around the corner. That things will get easier. That I've heard the worst of the bad news and there is no where to go from here but up.

I feel stupid every time it happens. How is it that an intelligent well-educated woman can just assume that cancer is a predictable path? That the next doctor visit will be all good news?

I keep expecting to hear "Congratulations! You've come through the worst of it and we have just a little ways to go before you can resume your life. Just a few more cells to kill. It'll all be over soon."

How absurd. How ridiculously child-like.

Sadly, cancer isn't finished with me yet. It's going to continue poking at me until it sucks not only the life out of me, but the hope as well.
Hope springs eternal. What a stupid saying. Positively stupid.

What is that old saying? Hope never abandons you. You abandon hope.

Hope costs nothing, right? I wish the same could be said for healthcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment